The Chemung County Health Department has given the College approval to host a modified in-person Commencement Ceremony on Sunday, June 6 at 11:00 a.m.
The ceremony will be outside, on Carnegie Lawn, rain or shine. In the event of extreme weather (electrical storm, tornado warning, torrential rain), Commencement will be moved to Speidel Gymnasium and open to students only.
While in-person, attendance is limited to graduating students and up to two guests per student. Seating will be socially distanced, with graduates seated with their guest(s).
5/19/21 update: The College has confirmed with the Chemung County Department of Health, that, per updated NYS guidelines, there is no longer a requirement to ask Commencement attendees to show proof of vaccination, recent negative test result, or positive test within the past 90 days. Masks will be required for Commencement as it is a large event with vaccinated and un-vaccinated individuals in attendance. Students and their guests may remove their masks while seated as a family unit during the ceremony and for post-ceremony photos with their family unit.
The deadline for students to RSVP for the ceremony AND order guest tickets is Wednesday, June 2. Graduates can access their guest tickets by logging into MarchingOrder and selecting "Print/Email Tickets."
Live Stream and Virtual Slides
While we are still unable to offer our full, traditional ceremony, we will offer a live stream of the ceremony on the College's YouTube channel. In addition, we are pleased to be able to offer a companion, virtual slide for this year’s graduates. Click here to access graduate slides.
- Gates open two hours prior to the ceremony (at 9:00 a.m.).
- All guests over the age of one must have a ticket. Tickets can be printed or presented on a mobile device.
- Tickets will be scanned at the gate by attendants. If a guest needs to leave the ceremony area, they must scan out with their ticket and then scan back in to re-enter the ceremony area. Guests should not leave the ceremony area without their ticket.
- Seating is assigned. Guests will be seated with their graduating student, socially distanced from other guests and students.
- Ushers will provide each guest with a copy of the program as they are seated.
- Guests should remain seated throughout the ceremony.
- Masks may be removed during the ceremony only while seated and for outdoor family photos following the ceremony. Masks must be worn at all other times while on campus. Graduates must wear their mask when accepting their diploma, but may remove their mask for the photo by the Class Banner. This photo will be taken by a College photographer and made available on the College's Flickr account.
- At the conclusion of the Commencement ceremony, ushers will release graduates and their guests by row when it is time for their row to depart the ceremony area.
- Guests of resident students moving out on June 6, should park near their student’s residence hall.
- Guests of non-residential students should park in the lot behind Alumni Hall (Building #6 on the Campus Map).
Tables will be set up at five locations on campus where students and their guests may grab a to-go charcuterie box and bottled/canned beverages:
- Cowles Hall Portico
- Tompkins Hall Archway
- Campus Center Portico
- Stephans Lounge
- Post Office / Fountain Area