The Writing Center at Elmira College, located in the Gannett-Tripp Library, aims to support student work in all forms of writing across the academic disciplines. Through one-on-one consultations and workshops, we are committed to offering effective feedback and strategies to help students improve each stage of their writing, from brainstorming to the final draft, all free of charge.
Our goal is to make the Writing Center a warm, friendly environment that encourages students from all majors and disciplines, both full-time and part-time students, to become more effective, more confident writers.
Services offered or coordinated through the Writing Center include:
- One-on-one consultations concerning all writing assignments for all majors and disciplines.
- Workshops aimed at improving the writing skills of the entire EC community. Some examples of workshops are “Writing in the Sciences,” “Editing/Revising Strategies,” “How Do I Start My Writing Assignment?,” and “MLA and APA for Beginners.”
- A website dedicated to creating, collecting, and organizing writing resources for students and faculty. In addition, all EC students can schedule a personal one-on-one writing consultation through the website.
- Personal appointments for all faculty members who want suggestions to increase the effectiveness of writing instruction in their classrooms.
- An opportunity for students to work with their peers as paid student-tutors.
Writing Center website: www.elmira.edu/writingcenter
Director: Dr. Katrina Shilts
Please see website for hours of operation and current student-tutors.