The Writing Center aims to support student work in all forms of writing across the academic disciplines. Through one-on-one consultations and workshops, we are committed to offering effective feedback and strategies to help students improve each stage of their writing, from brainstorming to the final draft, all free of charge.
Our goal is to make the Writing Center a warm, friendly environment that encourages students from all majors and disciplines to become more effective, more confident writers. Please let us know how we're doing so far.
HOW TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT
The best way to make an appointment is online. To make an appointment online, follow these steps:
- Go to elmira.mywconline.com. You should be able to log-in using your Elmira College email credentials.
- Click on open appointment that matches your preferred date, time, and tutor. Open appointments are in white.
- Fill out the registration survey.
- Click "Create Appointment. You should receive an email confirmation.
You may also make an appointment in person. Simply visit the Writing Center to see if there are any available tutors. The tutor can help you register for an appointment or, if possible, begin tutoring you. Please keep in mind that tutors may be in the middle of working with other students, at the end of their shift, or otherwise occupied with Writing Center duties, so it may not be possible for someone to work with you immediately.
- We do not discuss grades.
- Individual tutorials last approximately 25 minutes. If you are more than five minutes late, we may give your time slot to another student.
- Tutors can work with only one full-length paper per individual tutorial session. If you would like help with more than one paper, please schedule additional sessions.
- Please bring a hard copy of the writing you want to work on and any prompts or other information regarding the assignment.
- The Writing Center is not an editing and/or proofreading service. Rather than line-edit your work, we will guide you in your own revision.
- We can get to the heart of helpful revision if you have already proofread your work, so make sure you have carefully read your draft out loud before bringing it to us.
- Be ready with questions about your work. You will get the most from your session if you are an active, motivated participant!
Services offered or coordinated through the Writing Center include:
- One-on-one consultations concerning all writing assignments for all majors and disciplines.
- Workshops aimed at improving the writing skills of the entire EC community. Some examples of workshops are "Writing in the Sciences," "Editing/Revising Strategies," "How Do I Start My Writing Assignment?," and "MLA and APA for Beginners."
- A website dedicated to creating, collecting, and organizing writing resources for students and faculty. In addition, all EC students can schedule a personal one-on-one writing consultation through the website.
- Personal appointments for all faculty members who want suggestions to increase the effectiveness of writing instruction in their classrooms.
- An opportunity for students to work with their peers as paid student-tutors.