Elmira Closes Out Martha’s Vineyard Tournament with 4-1 Win over Curry

January 16 2016
Category: Athletics

The Elmira College men's ice hockey team rebounded nicely this afternoon, as the Soaring Eagles breezed past Curry College in the final game of the Martha's Vineyard Tournament, 4-1. Elmira's balanced attack was an important ingredient in its recipe for success, as four different players scored goals, while seven registered points. With the win, Elmira closes out its non-conference schedule with a 7-2-1 record.

Both teams would have chances on the power play in the first period, but neither was able to convert on their chances with the extra skater. Thankfully, Tyler Theodoulou '18 did not need the extra help, as the second-year skater gave the Soaring Eagles a 1-0 lead with his fourth goal of the season, unassisted, 7:15 into the opening stanza. Elmira carried its one-goal advantage into the first intermission.
Physicality was a theme in the second period, as was a bit of undisciplined play, as the two squads were whistled for a combined 38 penalty minutes on 11 infractions. However, of the 11 penalties whistled, just one would provide a power-play opportunity, one that was awarded to Elmira at the 10:53 mark.
Elmira made the most of its power-play chance just over a minute with the extra skater, as Brian Depp '16 scored what would turn out to be the eventual game-winning goal. Depp's power-play score, his second of the season, gave Elmira a two-goal cushion. Blake O'Neill '19 and Michael Collins '16 were credited with assists.
With the period coming to a close, Elmira extended its lead to three on a goal by Carter Shinkaruk '16, who scored his team-leading 16th of the season. Shinkaruk's goal was assisted by O'Neill, giving the rookie defenseman two assists on the night.
A good portion of the third period was uneventful, until Collins scored 15:55 into the final period to give Elmira a commanding 4-0 lead. Collins' goal was setup by Alexander Taulien '17 and Jonathan Grassie '19.
The Colonels answered with 2:50 left in regulation, but that effort proved to be too little, too late, as the Soaring Eagles marched away with a 4-1 victory.