Skip to main navigation bar Skip to main content



Elmira College has chosen PaperCut as the software application to support our efforts of sustainable and efficient print operations. PaperCut is a software program we use that allows us to improve our print operations, reduce waste and create a more efficient and sustainable printing environment. With the ability to provide better information to users of our Campus Community, smarter and more efficient choices can be made in support of day to day printing needs. As desired, the PaperCut system also allows users to control their own printing, by providing a more secure print environment. Users can now print securely using a "release on demand" option that integrates with an individual's campus ID Card.

PaperCut is also the tool of choice by universities and colleges all over the country in reducing waste and creating a more sustainable and eco-friendly print operation. The system allows us to collect important analytics and trends in an effort to continually understand the printing environment. This information will help us optimize print capabilities while also reducing the amount of toner and paper waste which is damaging to our environment.


Why do we have limitations placed on our printing now?

There were a number of reasons that limitations had to be placed on printing. These include:

  • A campus wide effort to reduce our carbon footprint
  • A campus wide effort to reduce the amount of paper used
  • Rising costs of printing resources (printers, paper, toner, etc.)
  • To ensure a sustainable printing model for the entire campus

How much does printing cost?

Printing costs are as follows:

  • Single Sided Black and White: $0.055/ front page
  • Double Sided Black and White: $0.045/back page
  • Single Sided Color: $0.10/front page
  • Double Sided Color: $0.094/back page

Does my tuition and other expenses cover printing costs?

Each student will be provided with $70 per year for printing. The $70 will be broken into 2 disbursements of $35. $35 added in August, prior to the first day of Term I and $35 added on the first day of Term II. You can add additional funding, as needed, anytime during the year.

Will money I add to my account roll over from term to term?

Yes, only the money you add will roll over during the academic year only. Any unused term allotments from Term I will be zeroed out when Term II allotments are added. After summer classes end in August, any unused allotments or funds you added will be zeroed out.

What happens if I run out of money on my account?

You will not be able to print any additional documents until funds are added to your account. Remaining print jobs will stay in the print queue for 3 days unprinted, and then must be resent.

Will I be able to put funds on my account for additional prints?

Yes, you will be able to add fund at your convenience, either to your student account or via credit card. Funds are added directly through

How can I see what the balance is on my account?

On computers that are located in computer labs, the PaperCut agent will tell you the balance on your personal account. You can also check your balance at

Will I be able to give unused printing funds to another student?

Allotted money that IT puts on your account can not be transferred. However, if you have added funds, you can transfer those funds to another student.

How is billing handled for printing student club or organization printing?

All printing for student organizations must be done through the Office of Student Life. Your printing should be sent to Kelly Johnson by email at for approval.

Where are the printers located at that I can print to?

Students are able to print from all lab computers in the Nathenson Computer Center, the GTL ERC Labs, Cowles Computer Lab Room 202, and Cowles Computer Lab Room 206.

Where can I print in Color?

Color printing is available on the first floor of the library at Only one Toshiba left Copiers. Additionally, there is a color printer available on the terrace level of the library in the Open Lab.

Can I make copies from this account as well?

Yes, students will be able to copy from their personal accounts using the copiers located on the first floor on the GTL.

Will there be the ability to scan on any machine? Is there any charge for this service?

The copiers in the GTL have the capability of scanning to a USB flash drive. There is no charge for this service; however students must provide their own flash drives. Ability to scan directly to your email or to someone else.

Can I print from my personal computer?

Yes. You can print to available web printers from the webprint tab at but only to the devices listed.

How can I prevent fraudulent activity with my printing account?

To make sure that only you are using your printing funds, be sure to always log off of computers when you are not at them, and do not allow friends, or other members to use your network credentials or student ID card.

Can I get a refund for print jobs?

Requests for refunds should be emailed to and must contain the following information:

  • User that submitted print job
  • Date and Time Print Job submitted
  • Printer that job was submitted to
  • Printing Issue (with specific details)

The print job that you are requesting a refund for must also be dropped off at the IT Help Desk in the Basement of the GTL. If submitting a refund when the IT Help Desk is closed, please leave in the drop box at the desk that is marked for print refunds.

All refund requests will be reviewed by the administrator. Once the request is sent, a printing administrator is notified. They will review the given information and approve or deny the request as needed within 2 business days. Students can request printing refunds within 24 hours of printer error using the process below. Note that the refund will go into your printing allocation and not be refunded in cash. The print job requesting a refund for must be dropped off at the IT Help Desk or the refund will be denied.

If you have additional questions, please contact the IT Help Desk at or by phone at (607) 735-1915.