What We Offer
We aim to support student work in all forms of writing across the academic disciplines. Through one-on-one consultations and workshops, we are committed to offering effective feedback and strategies to help students improve each stage of their writing, from brainstorming to the final draft, all free of charge.
Our goal is to make the Writing Center a warm, friendly environment which encourages students from all majors and disciplines to become more effective, more confident writers. Please let us know how we're doing so far.
- We do not discuss grades.
- The papers that you bring in to us must be your own original work. We’re more than happy to help you learn to document sources correctly.
- If you are more than five minutes late, we may give your time slot to another student.
- Please bring a hard copy of the writing you want to work on and any prompts or other information regarding the assignment.
- The Writing Center is not an editing and/or proofreading service. Rather than line-edit your work, we will guide you in your own revision.
- We can get to the heart of helpful revision if you have already proofread your work, being sure to carefully read your draft out loud.
- You will get the most from your session if you are an active, motivated participant!
Note: The Writing Center at Elmira College is located in the Gannett-Tripp Library.