A collection of approximately 480 linear feet consisting of the historical records of the College dating from the founding in 1855 to the present. Included are the files and correspondence of individual students, faculty and administration, the records of various offices, organizations and programs, college publications, photos, memorabilia and recorded media.
A finding aid to folder level is available in the Archives.
BD Records of the Board of Trustees
Board records and miscellaneous early history including Minutes of Board meetings and the Charter.
15 linear feet
PR Records of the President's Office
Historical and personal files relating to the office of the President and general administration of the College.
1855 to present.
45 linear feet
DE Records of the Academic Dean
Academic matters, convocations and commencements, faculty meetings and committees, records of individual faculty members, course schedules and descriptions, curricular, library and archives matters.
60 linear feet
TR Records of the Treasurer's Office
Financial records and physical plant matters, including building plans and blueprints.
36 linear feet
PU Records of the Public Relations Office
Internal publications, directories, clippings, press releases and files of the Public Relations Office.
39 linear feet
SL Records of the Office of Student Life
Non-academic matters, housing, events, student organizations, athletics, student publications, yearbooks, scrapbooks and college catalogs.
150 linear feet
AL Records of the Office of Alumnae/i Relations
Alumnae clubs and events, development matters, fund raising, general historical information.
42 linear feet
OF Other Formats
Memorabilia, fabric, films, sound recordings, video tapes and photographs.
93 linear feet
The Iris is the Elmira College Yearbook. Named after the College flower, the first issue, the 1897 Iris, came out in 1896 as a publication of the Junior Class. The Iris continued as a publication of the Junior class until 1957 at which time the Senior Class took over its production. The College Archives contains a complete collection of the Iris.
The first issue of the Sibyl appeared in 1871. It has seen continuous publication since that time, appearing in various formats and varying in frequency. It served, until the emergence of a weekly student newspaper, as the source for campus news as well as being the campus literary magazine. The College Archives contains a complete collection of Sibyls.
The Elmira College Weekly and the Octagon
The Elmira College Weekly was created in 1919 as the first weekly student publication in a newspaper format, leaving The Sibyl to function largely as a literary magazine. In 1935 when it became clear that the paper would not always be able to meet its expectation as "weekly" the name was changed to The Octagon, after a vote of the student body. The original college building, the octagonal Cowles Hall, inspired the name. The College Archives contains a complete collection of the Elmira College Weekly and The Octagon.